[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] FSF attitude to xo and sugar

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Fri Aug 28 05:48:30 EDT 2009

On 28.08.2009, at 11:33, Bill Kerr wrote:

> n Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 7:20 AM, Walter Bender
> <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
>> === Sugar Digest ===
>> 4. The recent FSF campaign condemning the use of Windows 7 in
>> education (See http://windows7sins.org/) imputes OLPC in complicity
>> with Microsoft. It is disappointing that the FSF is not making any
>> constructive arguments in favor of free software alternatives to
>> Windows such as Sugar on GNU/Linux, which is currently shipped on
>> every machine distributed by OLPC.
>
> http://windows7sins.org/#1
> When I first saw it I interpreted that page as contrasting the xo as
> a positive alternative to Windows (and still think that is a valid
> interpretation)
>
> When I read what walter wrote above later I was shocked to realise
> that it could indeed be interpreted the way walter has, as well
>
> On revisiting I can't see any clarifying text there

You need to click the "Learn more" link next to the XO picture.

Citing from that concoction:

"As a result, it is expected that the main effect of the OLPC project
-- if it succeeds -- will be to turn millions of children into
Microsoft dependents. That is a negative effect, to the point where
the world would be better off if the OLPC project had never existed.
The project tragically became yet another example of Microsoft
exerting its control to ends harmful to society's freedom."

It's tragic how they undermine their allies' efforts in their blind
zealousness.

- Bert -