[Sugar-devel] erasing the journal and config

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 13:33:14 EDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 8:17 AM, Daniel Drake<dsd at laptop.org> wrote:
> 2009/8/27 Sameer Verma <sverma at sfsu.edu>:
>> We have a lending library at SFSU, ready to go, but we need to have a
>> way to erase the config and journal every time the XO comes back from
>> a borrower.

> In my opinion, this is silly. Teach them how to run a script, teach
> them how to reflash or tell them to stop being difficult.
>
> As for the borrowers end - this is sillier. What are you expecting the
> borrowers to actually do with their XOs? It's for generating
> contributions to the community, right?

It is a fundamental principle of Customer Relations that you don't
tell users what they want to do with your product. If people have a
security concern, you deal with it or risk losing them and their
friends etc. permanently.

If you need to be convinced, ask any librarian about National Security
letters demanding a patron's reading list. You will get an earful.

> Daniel

Edward Mokurai Cherlin
Silent Thunder (默雷/धर्ममेघशब्दगर्ज/دھرممیگھشبدگر ج) is my name, and
Children are
my nation. The Cosmos is my dwelling place, the Truth my destination.
http://earthtreasury.org/