[Sugar-devel] New F11 for the XO-1 Build 6

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Wed Aug 26 23:16:16 EDT 2009

2009/8/27 Yioryos Asprobounitis <mavrothal at yahoo.com>:
> I had this issue with os5 (see "...-swap" posts above in the  fedora-olpc-list). It is something not related to swap but is happening often enough. Usually after 1-3 attempts removing all peripherals (and overclocking :) recovers and boots fine. Didn't have it with os6 yet.
> Of course the old firmware does not help either :)

If it's freezing after the "loading ramdisk" line, then it's not
related to swap. That's way too early for swap to be having an effect.

http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/9100

I also see this bug very often and work around it simply by turning
off the machine for 5 minutes and trying again. Here are my findings
so far:

 - nothing is output from the kernel on the serial console, so it is a
very early freeze from the kernel standpoint
 - the serial console does show a newline character *after* the
load correctly and the crash is triggered by something that happens
after
 - the OFW frame key does not cause the debugger to start
 - waiting a few minutes does seem to increase success rate - I have
had very little success with on,off,on,off,on,off type cycles, but if
you insert a few minutes wait inbetween then it does feel to be more
likely to boot
 - once booted, you can reboot indefinitely and it won't hang
 - I discount reports that this is related to external devices, swap
partitions, etc. I run my XOs with the standard configuration and no
external devices and I frequently see this bug
 - I've seen this ever since we upgraded kernel after 8.2
 - the 8.2 kernels continue to work fine

Daniel