[Sugar-devel] erasing the journal and config

Benjamin M. Schwartz bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu
Wed Aug 26 16:49:17 EDT 2009

Sameer Verma wrote:
> So, here's my request. Can someone whip up an activity that does the following:

In my view, this is not appropriate for an Activity.  Sugar Activities are
not for managing the system.  Also, as you noted, if Rainbow is active
then this is difficult or impossible, and this is deliberate.  Preventing
Activities from wiping your system is the #1 reason for Bitfrost.

> This makes me *very* curious. Shouldn't there be a way to erase the
> configuration and journal without having to reflash the whole image?

As you noted, it's trivial to do this at the Terminal.  Therefore, it is
also trivial to do it from the Sugar shell.  The obvious place for this
feature, to me, is in the Control Panel, under a label like "Erase
Everything" with appropriate warning text.

For lending libraries, a shortcut for this feature in a frame device or
under the XO-man might be appropriate.

--Ben