[Sugar-devel] Accessing external media from within an activity (was: Re: Problem listing journal objects)

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Wed Aug 26 12:41:37 EDT 2009

Hi Eben,

On 26 Aug 2009, at 16:43, Eben Eliason wrote:

>> You really do need to upgrade ;-p
>
> I know! I've been waiting to figure out how to get the latest releases
> flashed onto my XOs. The last time I looked I didn't see clear
> instructions for doing so. Any pointers?

:-)

Good timing (see email today from Steven Parrish "New F11 for the XO-1
Build 6, its Sugar 0.84). I'm currently running build 5 on two XOs
here for testing (XO-1 and an XO-B4). Apart from some oddly large
fonts in the Journal and Favourites list view, it's been pretty smooth
(obviously no msh0: support, and camera driver likely not working with
XO HW, though I haven't tested this in v5).

If you have a dev key and you've disable-security at the open firmware
prompt, you just need to download the .crc and .img [1] file to a USB
and then copy-nand. Obviously this will wipe your existing XO data, so
you might want to snapshot first with save-nand [1]. I've not tried to
create a live USB stick from the F11_for_XO-1, builds but the wiki
page [3] has some pointers (along with normal instructions) if you need.

   [1] http://dev.laptop.org/~smparrish/xo-1/builds/
   [2] http://wiki.laptop.org/go/How_to_backup_your_XO
   [3] http://wiki.laptop.org/go/F11_for_XO-1

Regards,