[Sugar-devel] Accessing external media from within an activity (was: Re: Problem listing journal objects)

Eben Eliason eben at laptop.org
Wed Aug 26 12:16:24 EDT 2009

I think I'm looking in the right place, but the info isn't as readily
available as I'd hoped. I'm looking here:
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/Installation/OLPC

In particular, I'm looking at options 2 and 3. The third says it's not
yet supported. The second says it's not fully supported (though
"recent builds are better"; perhaps the limitations listed there
should be removed if it's working with new builds...), and simply
links to several mailing list threads. I did read these in the past,
and in general it was more digging than I was really into doing at the
time, and required following several intertwined discussions about not
only installing to NAND, but also running off a USB stick.

Moreover, there are some download links within the mailing list posts,
but those (as far as I could tell) were for older versions, and
there's no clear indication that I can get the latest or exactly what
to do with it on the wiki itself. In fact, it's odd to me that after
clicking "Get Sugar" and finding my desired platform, there was no
direct download link at all.

Now, I don't want this to sound like I'm complaining. I think that the
"Get Sugar" link is easy enough to find, but it wouldn't hurt to have
a much bigger one somewhere in the main page. There is a big link to
SoaS (which also has nice direct download instructions), and perhaps
that's the most common way people will install it and that's the
reason for not making the "Get Sugar" page more prominent. In any
case, the "Get Sugar" page, listing the various platforms is great!
It's very clear. It's the content on the specific platform page (in my
case, OLPC-XO) that left me unclear on exactly how to proceed.

Eben