[Sugar-devel] Etoys packages

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Aug 26 10:07:07 EDT 2009

On 26.08.2009, at 14:53, Gavin Romig-Koch wrote:

> On 08/26/2009 08:27 AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>>

>> I keep forgetting to copy Gavin on new release announcements. But
>> then, I can't possibly cc all the package maintainers for all the
>> distros out there (unless they subscribe to an etoys-announce
>> list ... now there's an idea). How is this usually handled?
>
> I'm sorry.   I am subscribed to etoys-announce, but I'm very behind
> on my non-work email.

No need to apologize, there is no etoys-announce list, yet ;)

But would it be helpful? Say, an etoys-packagers list, without the
distracting developer chit-chat?

> Usually package maintainers are more on top of things, and usually
> people bug the package maintainer directly rather than people within
> the upstream project.
>
> I assume we are talking about etoys-4.0.2247.tar.gz, I'll get it
> into rawhide this week.  I'll also set up some automation to make it
> easier for me to be on top of this.
>
> While I'm talking, let me ask, I've been grabbing my etoys releases
> from
>
>     http://download.sugarlabs.org/sources/sucrose/glucose/etoys/
>
> is that the correct place.   I ask because it seems like these
> should be coming out of Squeakland rather than Sugarlabs.  Not that
> I have a problem with this, just wondering about the relationship?

Etoys is a separate project, developed by volunteers and led by the
Squeakland foundation, true. It was also made part of the Sugar
platform in glucose. It's hard to estimate usage numbers but I'm
pretty sure OLPC deployments of Etoys in Sugar do outnumber the
regular (non-Sugar) users. So we give special care to the Sugar
version. There also used to be slight differences, though we may
almost have reached a point where the difference is so minimal that we
can unify the two releases. In any case, the OLPC/Sugar version can
run stand-alone outside of Sugar fine now, so we need only a single
Linux package.

For now it's correct to use the glucose tar balls. On Squeakland we
don't even provide those yet (slowly working on it).

- Bert -