[Sugar-devel] Sugar on a Stick on XOs for XO Lending Libraries?

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Mon Aug 24 05:57:36 EDT 2009

On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 11:48:56AM -0400, Caroline Meeks wrote:
> Sdz and others...
> We should put having a Stick work on both XOs and nonXOs on a roadmap,
> feature wish list somewhere please.  I have to admit I'm getting pretty lost
> about where to put this sort of thing, especially since it crosses so many
> boundaries.
>
> A good example of where it would be useful is the UK deployment.  They are
> getting about 40 XOs and they already have a computer lab of PCs.

The more I think about this the less I think it's where we should
spend lots of time.

We have SoaS working -- for many useful values of "working" -- on lots
and lots of inexpensive hardware.  We have SoaS working on the XO-1
for the a similarly large set of values of "working".

The XO-1 is the tip of an software-engineering, logistical, and social
iceberg of large enough proportions to make the best use of an
arbitrary person's time not be making the same SoaS bits work on an
XO-1 and a commodity PC (though I'd love to see it happen).

I don't get to say what anyone should spend their free time on, of
course.  I'm going to spend time SoaS (Sugar + Fedora) working well on
massively available hardware and the XO-1, but I'm not going to lose
sleep if there are not two separate installation proedures.  It's good
to keep searching for the Holy Grail, but let's be kind to our
neighbours first.

Martin