[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] Sugar Labs Membership proposal

Luke Faraone luke at faraone.cc
Sun Aug 23 18:10:43 EDT 2009

Bernie,

On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 17:23, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org> wrote:

>  * We need to state clearly what the criteria for selection is.
>   Our current membership policy [1] is located in an obscure place.
>   It could be moved to a separate page and linked from relevant
>   pages (members list, etc)

Good idea. I'll see if I can get to that tomorrow.

  * Can we state that anyone who writes to members at sugarlabs.org
>   will receive an answer within X days?  I'm concerned that potential
>   members might be frustrated by silence.

Does two days seem reasonable?

  * Since two people (you and Sebastian) are volunteering for
>   membership screening, how are they going to coordinate to avoid
>   answering twice (or not at all)?  Something like an RT queue would
>   seem useful, but installing an RT instancy only for this purpose
>   seems overkill.

We've set up a collaborative worksheet, and are CCing each other on all
replies we make. By the way, if anybody else wants to help out, feel free to
raise your hand on/off list :)

>   * I'm looking at last year's membership list and I'm seeing a
>   lot of people who disappeared a long time ago.  How are we
>   going to clear old memberships?  Wouldn't it be better if we
>   asked people to confirm their membership every year?  (asking
>   for a small amount of money for membership would make the
>   latter step more natural, but I'm not sure we want to do that
>   at this time)

I was planning on sending an initial "hiya folks, you still around and
interested?" email on Sept 3th or 4th. If we don't get a reply in 7 days,
we'll send another email. If we *still* don't get a yay/nay, we'll put them
on a "grey area" list and remove them for next year if we don't get a reply
by next time around.

>   * Is our wiki good enough as a membership management tool? Shouldn't
>   we look at some specific application?  I could ask the FSF what
>   they're using to manage their members.

Well, assuming we eventually migrate to Launchpad, we can use that. (that's
used to manage Ubuntu Members, among other things, and would be intergrated
with everything else) In the interim, the IML page should be sufficient.

>  * We're only giving one week of advance notice to potential
>   contributors in a period when people are generally on vacation
>   Why couldn't we extend the deadline for submission closer
>   to Sep 12?

Sure. Those were just dates I thought would be reasonable. When should they
be changed to?

Disclaimer: Sebastian and I are both running for SLOB slots in the upcoming
election.
--
Luke Faraone
http://luke.faraone.cc