[Sugar-devel] Sugar on a Stick on XOs for XO Lending Libraries?

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 05:03:33 EDT 2009

> As a *completely* naive author of a Sugar activity, I'll attempt to rephrase
> a previous question (that received a very loud silence):
>
> What is the update path for the XO-1; is it Martin's SoaS for XO's? Or are
> there other efforts also in the works?
>
> My particular concern, of course, is for Csound5.10 to work with python2.6
> (csound-python module) so I can use Csound in a script.
>
> On the XO-1, Csound5.08 and python2.5 work together fine; however, my script
> properly requires 5.10.
>
> It seems that the 5.10/python2.6 issue is on the cusp, thanks to Peter
> Robinson and others, of being solved.
>
> I'm left wondering, however, whether this 5.10/2.6 combination will ever
> become available on the XO-1, except via SoaS?

What do you mean by an update on the XO-1. If you mean as an update to
old versions of the OS such as 8.2 its very unlikely. The reason being
is the amount of QA to ensure it works cleanly and without issues and
that comes back to resources again. To push out an update such as that
to and older OS that is relatively old as its based on Fedora 9 which
is now EOL.

> Another way of putting it: will the XO-1 quite readily become somewhat of an
> "orphan/dinosaur" without its plugin SoaS?

Well the plan in my opinion would be to get a stable release that is
signed so deployments can upgrade their XO-1 to a newer release
without needing to get developer keys or disable security.

Peter