[Sugar-devel] [Karma] Re: svg and png for subjects in chakra

Christoph Derndorfer christoph.derndorfer at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 00:19:01 EDT 2009

2009/8/21 Felipe López Toledo <zer.subzero at gmail.com>

> > On Thu, 2009-08-20 at 16:37 +0545, Christoph Derndorfer wrote:
> > > I thought about the "stage 3" design some more and really think we need
> > > to come up with a good idea on how accommodate all those lessons...
> > >
> > > The "month" drop-down menu that Bryan suggested in his mockup is
> > > something I don't like. First of all it's the only place in Karma (at
> > > least so far) where we'd be using a drop down menu and secondly because
> > > they're more complicated to implement, making it harder for people to
> > > adapt the Chakra to their own needs.
> >
> > drop-down menus are pretty easy afaik, unless i am missing something
> yeah, pretty easy.

Okay, I'll follow Bryan's suggestion and create two versions so people can
toy around with both of them...

> Ideally, I would like to just drop the lesson folder under a specific
> place (with a config file) and then everything will be done: links,
> put the lesson on the correct grade, include the lesson on the
> necessary menus, etc..
> but that's not possible without using a server side solution, maybe
> using Narwhal or Rhino... but, please note that those tools are server
> side.

Yeah, as previously mentioned we gotta figure out a way of how to get from a
random collection of lessons to a single package with a corresponding Chakra
and everything...

All suggestions are more than welcome!

> > Also I was thinking that we should try to avoid using scrolling action
> > > unless absolutely necessary (reasoning: I think it can be confusing for
> > > new users, scrollbars are generally hard to handle and they don't look
> > > so pretty) so I'd prefer to go for a single screen design (such as in
> > > the current EPaath).
> >
> > w/ a single screen design, chakra won't be able to accommodate an
> > arbitrary # of lessons in a given week w/out shrinking the lesson icons
> I'm agreed with Bryan,
> an option is having a specific number of lesson (icons) on a single screen,
> then, we will have several screens
> maybe a page (screen) 1, 2, .....N, could work?

Mmm, that's certainly a very good idea especially since that multiple-screen
interaction mode will also be used within Karma lessons (similar to what
EPaath does now).

Should I create two versions (one with a scrollbar, another one with
multiple screens) again to see what things really look like?

> > > A question I have is whether we mainly want to identify lessons via (a)
> > > their names or (b) the screenshots associated with them. I have a
> > > feeling that EPaath's UI implicitly learns towards (b) at the moment.
> > > I'm thinking that (b) might be an advantage for very young kids but in
> > > general it's probably better to focus on the name of the lesson.
> > >
> > > For the "navigation bar" one option I thought about was using the
> images
> > > of the respective sub-categories instead of a text (so instead of Home
> -
> > > Grade 1 we'd have: "Home"-icon - "Grade 1"-icon or something).
> >
> > I prefer your idea to use icons
> +1, plus alt attribute

Okay, I'll do a quick mockup of that today.

Christoph

Christoph Derndorfer
co-editor, olpcnews
url: www.olpcnews.com