[Sugar-devel] New SoaS-on-XO-1 build done: soasxo57

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Thu Aug 20 17:59:41 EDT 2009

Hi Gary,

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 10:47:23PM +0100, Gary C Martin wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> On 20 Aug 2009, at 17:57, Martin Dengler wrote:
>
>> A new SoaS-on-XO-1 build soasxo57 is available.

> get the error:
>
> Boot device: \pci\nandflash at c:\boot\vmlinuz     Arguments: ro root=mtd0
> rootfstype=jffs2 console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0 fbcon=font:SUN12x22
> <buffer at ffb69098>:36:
> Can't open boot device
>
> Same error on power cycle.

"boot device" is actually the initrd - there's a cut & paste bug in my
olpc.fth that does

" ${DN}${PN}\olpcrd.img" to ramdisk

...instead of

" ${DN}${PN}\initrd.img" to ramdisk

I've fixed this in git and will publish a new build overnight.

But this error should not prevent boot for NAND installs, as the
kernel has jffs2 compiled in.  So I'm not sure why you're seeing a
hang.

I've been booting from a USB drive (not NAND), and usb drivers are
modular so the initrd is really required.  In the forthcoming build
I've also added "rootwait" so that the LABEL=OLPCRoot argument can be
used effectively in this case.

I will also test the SD behaviour later but would appreciate any
feedback on that.

Thanks for trying this out.

> Regards,
> --Gary