[Sugar-devel] [Karma] Re: svg and png for subjects in chakra

Bryan Berry bryan at olenepal.org
Thu Aug 20 12:40:45 EDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-08-20 at 16:37 +0545, Christoph Derndorfer wrote:
> I thought about the "stage 3" design some more and really think we need
> to come up with a good idea on how accommodate all those lessons...
>
> The "month" drop-down menu that Bryan suggested in his mockup is
> something I don't like. First of all it's the only place in Karma (at
> least so far) where we'd be using a drop down menu and secondly because
> they're more complicated to implement, making it harder for people to
> adapt the Chakra to their own needs.

drop-down menus are pretty easy afaik, unless i am missing something

> Also I was thinking that we should try to avoid using scrolling action
> unless absolutely necessary (reasoning: I think it can be confusing for
> new users, scrollbars are generally hard to handle and they don't look
> so pretty) so I'd prefer to go for a single screen design (such as in
> the current EPaath).

w/ a single screen design, chakra won't be able to accommodate an
arbitrary # of lessons in a given week w/out shrinking the lesson icons

Wny don't you create 2 mockups, one more like the old Epaath and the
other w/ the drop-down menu? then we can show it around and have better
idea of which may be best

> A question I have is whether we mainly want to identify lessons via (a)
> their names or (b) the screenshots associated with them. I have a
> feeling that EPaath's UI implicitly learns towards (b) at the moment.
> I'm thinking that (b) might be an advantage for very young kids but in
> general it's probably better to focus on the name of the lesson.
>
> For the "navigation bar" one option I thought about was using the images
> of the respective sub-categories instead of a text (so instead of Home -
> Grade 1 we'd have: "Home"-icon - "Grade 1"-icon or something).

I prefer your idea to use icons

> Looking forward to your feedback.
>
> Christoph
>
> Christoph Derndorfer schrieb:
> > (CC'ing Felipe as I just realized that he hadn't been on this thread)
> >
> > Okay, I've attached screenshot.png to show what the current Chakra
> > mockup looks like within Browse on the XO.
> >
> > I went for a grey background behind the icons because white is too
> > harsh in my opinion (see white_bg.png for what it looks like). That
> > brown at the bottom is also still quite hideous so we'll have to find
> > a nice colour there.
> >
> > As for colours I also think that it might make sense to give the
> > navigation bar (Home - Grade 1...) a different background colour to
> > the surrounding background. What do you think about that?
> >
> > Now we also gotta figure out how to design "stage 3" (the actual
> > lesson selection), should I do a quick mockup based on Bryan's
> > suggestion
> > (http://karmaproject.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/chakra33.png?w=872&h=428)?
> >

> > Another thing we should think about is just wide and high we want to
> > keep that navigation area. The current dimensions seem to work quite
> > well on the XO with the number of currently included icons. However
> > for larger lesson bundles and especially also the lesson selection
> > itself I'm not sure whether this provides us with enough screen real
> > estate to nicely accommodate everything.
> >
> > Let me know what you think.
> >
> > Christoph
> >
> > Christoph Derndorfer schrieb:
> >> Great, thanks a lot!
> >>
> >> I'll integrate them into the Chakra mockup tomorrow... :-)
> >>
> >> Christoph

Bryan W. Berry
Technology Director
OLE Nepal, http://www.olenepal.org