[Sugar-devel] [ANNOUNCE] Sucrose 0.86 Feature Freeze

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Thu Aug 20 06:35:09 EDT 2009

Hi,

following our schedule for the 0.86 release [1], with the 0.85.3
development release scheduled for the 21th of August we will switch into
the feature freeze period. No new modules or features will be accepted
for this release period. "Feature" should be interpreted as
"Functionality" or "Ability". Bug fixes of existing features are not
affected.

This allows developers to concentrate on refining the new features
instead of adding yet more functionality.

The feature freeze affects all the modules included in the release and
comprise also ABI for public libraries. Exceptions might be considered
by the release team but they will be extremely rare. To request an
exception send mail to sugar-devel at lists.sugarlabs.org, referencing the
patches you would like to land. It will have to be granted by two
members of the release team, on the base of community feedback.

Sine we had to break the string freeze quite often in previous releases,
we changed the string handling in the following manner:

Aug 21: String Cooling
String changes have to be announced, but no exceptions have to be
requested. [3]

Sep 04: String Freeze
Every string change has to be requested and to be approved. [4]

On behalf of the Release Team,
    Simon Schampijer

[1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/0.86/Roadmap#Schedule
[2] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Development_Team/Release#Feature_freeze