[Sugar-devel] creating seperate dbus-tubes in a single instance of a shared actvity

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Aug 20 06:06:28 EDT 2009

On 20.08.2009, at 11:35, sumit singh wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> As far as I can understand from the reading is that when we share an
> activity, a new channel is created for that activity

Correct. Actually, at least two channels, one for text and one for
tubes:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Low-level_Activity_API#Tubes

> and in this
> channel a new dbus-tube is created, through which the data transfer
> can take place between the xos/laptops.

No tube is created automatically, the activity has to create tubes as
needed.

> Now, what I want to ask is that is there any way to create more than
> one tube in that channel so that something like parallel data transfer
> can take place between the activities?

Yes.

> Also, in case there is a way to do so , then how can we distinguish
> between these tubes?

When a participant creates ("offers") a tube, you supply both a
service name to identify the type of tube, and a parameter dictionary,
which can have arbitrary options in it. So you can put any
identification you need into the parameters, in case your chosen
service name for the tubes is the same.

Other participants can get a list of all tubes in a channel, and they
are notified when new tubes are created. In both cases, the tube's
service name and parameters dictionary are directly accessible, so you
can identify how to handle the tube:

http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/spec-0.16.html#org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Channel.Type.Tubes

- Bert -