[Sugar-devel] Problem listing journal objects

Michael Stone michael at laptop.org
Wed Aug 19 10:08:52 EDT 2009

>On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 23:47, Sascha
>Silbe<sascha-ml-ui-sugar-devel at silbe.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 03:13:22PM -0500, Jim Simmons wrote:
>>
>> [Accessing files on external media from within an activity]
>>>
>>> Is there some backward compatible way to do what I want to do? =A0Or if
>>> I wanted to do it specifically for .84 and didn't care about .82 how
>>> would I do that?
>>
>> I'm afraid there isn't a public API to do that for 0.84+ (only Journal
>> internal ones, see jarabe.journal.model). I don't know whether that's on
>> purpose or not, but Tomeu should be able to tell.
>
>The public API is the POSIX one, though I don't know how this will be
>affected by future versions of Rainbow.

1. Pretty much everything that I know about the future of rainbow features is
    described at

       http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Rainbow/Next_Steps

    Thus, if you don't see answers to your questions already and if you care to
    formulate your question(s) a bit more precisely, I'll be happy to try to
    improve the page based on them.

2. I'm not aware of anything other than HAL and parsing /proc/mounts for
    finding interesting mount points. I personally tend to parse /proc/mounts.

3. Please be aware that contemporary versions of rainbow call
    clone(CLONE_NEWNS) or unshare(CLONE_NEWNS) which means that rainbow-isolated
    activities don't see mount-points added to Sugar's namespace after the
    activity is launched.

    (Also note that I'm not really persuaded that this behavior is correct --
    I picked it because it seemed to provide robust garbage collection for
    per-instance tmpfsen, which now seem to have some important problems of
    their own.)

Regards,

Michael