[Sugar-devel] Accessing external media from within an activity (was: Re: Problem listing journal objects)

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-devel at silbe.org
Wed Aug 19 05:43:02 EDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 08:41:28AM +0200, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:

> The public API is the POSIX one, though I don't know how this will be
> affected by future versions of Rainbow.
I can't find anything regarding mount points in POSIX 2001. How do you
expect Jims activity to discover them?
Two ways come to my mind:
a) parse /proc/mounts periodically
Linux-only, time-wasting but future-proof

b) use what the Journal is using internally, i.e. the Gnome way of the
day
cross-platform (as much as Gnome/Sugar are), event-driven, but likely to
break on next release

Just as a reminder: The intended workflow for Jims activity seems to be:
1. Start activity
2. Plug in USB stick with photos
3. Select and/or manage(?) photo from within the activity

Answering "use POSIX" is like "use a computer", it doesn't help getting
the job done. If the answer is "we want the user to copy the photos to
the data store first", that doesn't get the job done either, but it's a
policy and can be catered for (i.e. documented).

CU Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/
http://www.infra-silbe.de/