[Sugar-devel] Sugar on a Stick on XOs for XO Lending Libraries?

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Tue Aug 18 18:26:13 EDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 2:30 PM, Ton van Overbeek<tvoverbeek at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 1:01 PM, Caroline
> Meeks<caroline at solutiongrove.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I'm curious if we are to the point technically where an XO lending library
>> could create a stick for an XO borrower and lend them the XO.  The borrower
>> could then use Sugar and he XO on the stick. If they liked using Sugar they
>> could keep the stick with all their work and continue using it on their home
>> computer after they returned the XO.
>> Seems
>> like a cool idea, but I haven't been following the technical issues around SoaS on the XO enough to know if its technically feasible?
>> Thanks,
>> Caroline
>>

> Would be nice, if it works.
>
> I have not tried it with the recent releases of SoaS (>= Strawberry),
> but pre Strawberry it did not work.
> The main problem is that the underlying live-cd code assumes it is
> always running on the same computer.
> On first boot it does some specific adaptations for the XO-1 (i.e.
> change xorg.conf) which make it not work
> when booted later on a non-XO.
> Same thing the other way around, when first booted on a 'normal' pc it
> will not work on the XO-1.
> Again, all this was my experience with pre Strawberry versions of SoaS.
> If this is working now, then please correct me.
>
> Anyway, if it is not fixed yet, then this is one of the things SoaS
> has to address sooner than later
> in order to live up to all the publicity that you can take your work
> with you and boot it on any
> (Intel) computer.
>
> Hope I am being too pessimistic ....

I would use the term realistic rather than pessimistic to describe your post....

With that said, many of the issues that you refer to are underlying
distro issues rather SoaS or Sugar Issues.  I would encourage you to
file bug reports with your favourite disto so their developers are
aware of these problems.

FWIW, SoaS is taking 'live CD' images _far_ past their originally
envisioned purposes.  The distros are seeing the value in running
their distro straight from a usb stick.  Thus, the development rate at
the os level is starting to pick up dramatically.

david