[Sugar-devel] How to build an activity with a submodule?

Benjamin M. Schwartz bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu
Tue Aug 18 08:25:25 EDT 2009

Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 04:57, Benjamin M.
> Schwartz<bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:
>> I've made a branch gitorious repository at git.sugarlabs.org:
>>
>> http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/pippy/repos/pippy-groupthink
>>
>> This repo uses a submodule to refer to groupthink, from
>>
>> http://dev.laptop.org/git/projects/dobject/
>>
>> How can I produce an activity bundle to test?
>>
>> If I clone pippy-groupthink, and then initialize and update the submodule,
>> I have all the files I need... but I also have all the .git* files and
>> directories.  setup.py isn't smart enough to ignore these, so they wind up
>> in the MANIFEST and in the bundle.
>>
>> Gitorious isn't smart enough to handle submodules itself, so downloading
>> the gzipped tarball from gitorious doesn't provide sufficiently complete
>> sources.
>
> Have you solved this?

Yes.  Pippy-35 was released based on this branch.

> Do you think bundlebuilder needs any change?

I think bundlebuilder needs two changes.

1.  It needs to handle symlinks.  The git repository contained a symlink,
and bundlebuilder was totally unable to process it.  I had to restructure
the bundle to get rid of the symlink before bundlebuilder would produce
correct output.  See also Sugar Labs tickets #95 and #171.

It's also worth noting (I'd forgotten) that Sugar <0.84 doesn't support
installing or uninstalling bundles containing symlinks, so I probably
would have had to get rid of it for Pippy anyway.

2.  It needs to know that .git* should probably be ignored, no matter what
directory it's in.  It know to ignore them if they're in the bundle root,
but not if they're in a subdirectory, as is the case when using a submodule.

--Ben