[Sugar-devel] Bundling libraries, RPMs? (was Re: WatchMe-1, a VNC activity)

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Mon Aug 17 17:34:02 EDT 2009

Hi Peter,

On 17 Aug 2009, at 21:20, Peter Robinson wrote:

>> In an LTSP environment, no sysadmin is going to choose a policy that
>> allows users to install packages, even trusted packages, to the root
>> system, or otherwise make any sort of modification that cannot be
>> trivially and reliably wiped clean.  PolicyKit will work fine, in
>> that it
>> will happily enforce the policy, which is "no installation allowed".
>
> In an LTSP environment surely you'd want it all centrally managed by
> an admin so each device/server doesn't end up with 50 copies of
> different versions of the same activity installed. It would be a
> support nightmare, take up massive amounts of extra resources that it
> need not do so and no doubt other issues that I haven't thought of
> like issues with collaboration etc.

The whole point is a learner/teacher can modify any activity at any
time and then share that modification in a safe, sandboxed way, to
other Sugar users (and perhaps back to us). No existing packaging
systems seem to have any concept of this basic Sugar feature/goal :-
( They all shout root, root, root and have install dependancies
splattered across the OS like some midnight software massacre :-((

I'd love to see some progress being made here, it's so painful to see
this dialogue come up month after month (no offence intended).

Apple I think are the closest I've seen, if you app needs some zany
dependancies then it includes them in it's bundle (just like Sugar
bundles). For the Mac users, it's just "Drag this application to your
application folder." Done, end of story. For the worst application
offenders (and there are some, usually some of the big corps who can
get away with it) the user is asked for their admin password, but this
always looks like shoddy, dodgy application development from
developers who don't really know what they are doing on a Mac.

Regards,
--Gary