[Sugar-devel] Bundling libraries, RPMs? (was Re: WatchMe-1, a VNC activity)

Mathieu Bridon (bochecha) bochecha at fedoraproject.org
Mon Aug 17 15:48:40 EDT 2009

> I assume you know that when users are installing Sugar 'activities'
> they don't have root access, and that the install is completely in ~
>
> If we get on the "do the right thing" horse, then we have to ensure
> user-installable RPMs ("relocatable" I think is the feature name) are
> working. AFAIK they aren't

And as I've already explained on the fedora-olpc list (I wasn't on
sugar-devel at that time), they are.

Just don't use yum. Use PackageKit.

PackageKit uses PolicyKit for the authentication framework, which
means you can very easily define the following permissions:

1. user A can install signed RPMs from the repositories without root password

2. user B can update his system, providing the root password for the
first time but then without password

3. user C can install signed RPMs from the repositories as well as
unsigned RPMs entering his own password.

PackageKit comes with a second benefit: it is cross-distros. This
means Sugar could have its own Install/Remove/Update interface, which
would work on Fedora, Debian, OpenSuse,...