[Sugar-devel] Bundling libraries, RPMs? (was Re: WatchMe-1, a VNC activity)

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 15:30:00 EDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 8:40 PM, Peter Robinson<pbrobinson at gmail.com> wrote:
>> If someone does know how to do this sort of thing, a quick how-to
>> writeup would be immensely useful!
>
> Please DON'T do this. There is absolutely NO guarantee that this will
> If you have something that
> has a dependency you'd be much better to package it up as an rpm where
> you can do proper rpm requires which means it can pull in any required
> dependencies. I will quite happily assist in rpm creation and support.

Hi Peter,

I assume you know that when users are installing Sugar 'activities'
they don't have root access, and that the install is completely in ~

If we get on the "do the right thing" horse, then we have to ensure
user-installable RPMs ("relocatable" I think is the feature name) are
working. AFAIK they aren't, so to support our easy, no-root
installation we are stuck with some hacks. They aren't pretty but our
users come first.

Some notes here -
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/RPM_vs_XO_FUDConF11_BarCamp_session_20090110

cheers,