[Sugar-devel] multiple activity versions installed simultaneously (was Re: [Bugs] #1042 UNSP: cannot install new activity version)

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Mon Aug 17 06:13:46 EDT 2009

2009/8/11 Gary C Martin <gary at garycmartin.com>:
>> What are the user interfaces like when dealing with multiple
>> activities?
>
> Well, we have this already, it's called the Journal. Just download Activity
> bundles and they all live there (and have done as far back as I can
> recall)...
>
>> If I click on a new version of an activity in browse, does
>> it upgrade the one I have or install it in parallel?
>
> It downloads the bundle to Journal and auto unpacks/installs, though this
> may have been modified by a very recent patch I haven't poked at yet:
>
>        http://dev.sugarlabs.org/ticket/1042
>
>> How do I erase old versions?
>
> Delete the bundle form the Journal
>
>> When I click the activity from the home screen, which version gets
>> launched?
>
> The last one that you installed (via either downloading in Browse or
> clicking a bundle in Journal).

OK - this all makes sense. But it all involves only 1 activity being
installed at the same time, and simply having the bundles for other
versions being present in the Journal.

Maybe I'm reading the bug report wrong, but to me it seems to say that
if Read ETexts v1 is installed (where installed = extracted on disk,
icon on home screen, etc), and if we then click a link to Read ETexts
v2, then that one *additionally* gets installed without the first one
being removed. Right?

Or maybe I misunderstood and the behaviour is supposed to be as before
- v1 would get uninstalled, v2 would get installed - but it's broken?
If we can't upgrade activities then that sounds like a valid bug, and
unrelated to having multiple versions installed at once.

Daniel