[Sugar-devel] Asking for copies of "real-life" data store (Journal) contents

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-devel at silbe.org
Sun Aug 16 15:30:56 EDT 2009

In order to determine some "hard numbers" during data store development
(especially for version support), I'm going to ask on sugar-iaep for
copies of data stores ("Journals") that have been in use for "real" work
(i.e. not just testing) for a significant amount of time.
Because that is potentially controversial (privacy!), I'm announcing my
intent here (sugar-devel) first.
Submitted data store content will obviously be handled confidentially.
(Only) if the user explicitly granted permission to do so during upload,
it can be made available to other Sugar developers as well.

Tomeu suggested to write an activity instead that summarizes the data
and to only submit the summary. For my first task at hand (determining
the overhead of the prefix support [1]) this would suffice, but for
later work (especially testing delta compression) I would need to ask
(and wait) each and every time to run a new activity that performs the
current measurement. That's why I decided to ask for the actual data
first and only do a "benchmark" activity later if I don't get enough
copies.

The upload form [2] is open for review (source[3] available).

[1] http://dev.sugarlabs.org/ticket/1090
[2] https://people.sugarlabs.org/~silbe/py/journal.py
[3] https://people.sugarlabs.org/~silbe/journal.py

CU Sascha