[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] GPA ain't the world

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 06:02:08 EDT 2009

Just to clarify, when I spoke of studying a small deployment closely,
I was thinking of both the GPA pilot and any other closely studied
small deployment, which could be anywhere, including Nepal.

Similar findings (e.g. first-time difficulty of quitting Activities?)
in disparate conditions will be beneficial to everyone.

Other findings will not; I expect developed-country schools to face
"gadget competition" issues, where kids compare Sugar to their
Nintendo DS interfaces, or netbook performance to fancy home
computers.

I am convinced most if not all large deployments have obtained
feedback and some work in locating contacts and translating documents
will be very beneficial for Sugar. If, of course, the conclusions of
such studies are not trumpeted as "OLPC failure" fodder, but as
information necessary to improve Sugar.

I have experience running IT in infrastructure-challenged environments
and I doff my cap to those who have to struggle just to get a Home
View on a screen in front of a Learner.

I think we can agree that obtaining, triaging, analysing and reporting
feedback from all sources is an important yet undoubtedly difficult
goal.

Sean.