[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] Yet more feedback from Boston! - Chat and Speak

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Sat Aug 15 16:15:42 EDT 2009

On 15 Aug 2009, at 19:57, Eben Eliason wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 1:35 PM, Gary C Martin<gary at garycmartin.com>
> wrote:
>> On 14 Aug 2009, at 17:11, Eben Eliason wrote:

>>> I think there are a few first-steps to simplify this process that
>>> have
>>> already been designed. First and foremost, it should be possible to
>>> select a sharing scope when starting a new activity. In past
>>> mockups,
>>> we offered this functionality via a "Start with >" option, which
>>> revealed a submenu containing both a list of friends, and a list of
>>> groups. We could build the first part of this today.
>>>
>>> Likewise, the redesign of the sharing controls within the activity
>>> itself provide us the chance to do the same when sharing an ongoing
>>> activity. In addition to listing "private" and "my neighborhood", we
>>> could also introduce "my friends", as well as individuals.
>>
>> Ooohhh, nice one, +1, though I think the actual menu needs some
>> thinking
>> about so we don't conflate the Journal "Resume with -> <activity>"
>> and this
>> proposed home view "Start with -> <Friend>". Also think "Start with
>> ->
>
> Good point. Perhaps resuming should say "Resume in >" instead, to
> indicate that you're entering into a new activity context.

+1

>> Neighbourhood" should be in that list. There is also the issue of
>> shared
>
> Oh, absolutely. In my mind, "My Neighborhood" and "My friends" should
> act like two implicit groups. I think the best way to order the
> submenu is [my neighborhood, my friends, {list of groups}, {list of
> friends}].

+1

>> activity titles... Currently you have to title your activity before
>> sharing
>> (though that even feature seems somewhat buggy, not sure if this is
>> broken
>> Sugar UI, or an issue with Telepathy), otherwise you just get
>> default "Chat
>> Activity" activities in the neighbourhood.
>
> There have been a number of discussions and ideas around better
> default names for activity titles. Perhaps we could take a small step
> with a potentially large payoff and make the default activity title
> "<name>'s <activity> activity" instead, so that at least we'd have
> "Eben's chat activity" and "Gary's chat activity", which is far more
> useful as a default.

+0.2 Downsides... the Journal will fill up with your name duplicated
on many lines. The name suggests possession, when really we want to be
suggesting collaboration/sharing. The 's will be incorrect for folks
with names ending in s, and not sure if this is simple for localisers
to find good equivalents.

>> Tthere is at least one obvious string change to be made to the home
>> activity
>> palettes. "Start" should be "New", or given above possible feature
>> perhaps
>> "Start new" is better, so that "Start new with -> <Friend>" will
>> read a
>> little better:
>
> I like keeping the distinction between "start" and "resume", both of
> which are verbs. That's important. If we fel the need to make it more
> explicit by appending "new", that could work, but I'm not sure it's
> necessary with the proper uncolored icon.

+1 for "Start new" then. Every time I read "Start" I still mentally
ask my self "start what?"

Perhaps we can confirm consensus at the Sunday IRC design meeting, and
then add the necessary trac tickets?

Regards,
--Gary