[Sugar-devel] feedback from a teacher in Uruguay

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Sat Aug 15 05:03:55 EDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 19:33, Benjamin M.
Schwartz<bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:
> Andrés Nacelle wrote:
>> We've got good results with the ejabber, but we don't know what
>> will happen in a big school where 200 or 300 XO may appear n the
>> Neighbourhood view.
>
> Two solutions have been developed for this problem.  Both work by making
> sure that each user does not see all 300 other users.
>
> 1.  Collabora's Gadget.  Gadget is a Jabber extension that can be run with
> ejabberd.  It modifies the visibility/roster behaviors so that each user
> only sees a restricted number of other users.  Who sees who can be
> configured programmatically, or even made to be random.

Well, actually the user could "see" all users in the same view if we
used Gadget properly from the UI side of things, just as the Journal
allows browsing thousands of entries from the DS but only retrieves
some dozens at a time.

> 2.  Moodle's ejabberd integration.  Martin Langhoff developed a system to
> connect Moodle's concept of classes to ejabberd.  The result is that each
> user only sees other users in his/her class, as configured through the
> Moodle web interface.

Is this in use somewhere? Would like to hear how it is being used and
if we can add anything to Sugar to improve integration, maybe a class
browser/selector?

> I'll propose a third option, while we're talking about it:
>
> 3.  Per-class servers.  You can run many different ejabberd instances,
> with DNS names like year4classD.schoolserver.local, one for each
> classroom.  Users can connect to the one for their classroom.  Even if all
> the ejabberds are running on the same physical server, this would prevent
> overload.  Once the servers are set up, no further server-side
> configuration is required, and users can choose which class they are in.

I have heard this being proposed for LTSP setups. Wonder if the
servers could advertise themselves via mDNS and then offer those
auto-discovered servers as hints to the jabber server textfield.

Regards,

Tomeu

> --Ben

Farning