[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] GPA ain't the world (was: [Sugar-news] Sugar Digest 2009-08-11)

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Fri Aug 14 11:34:45 EDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 17:12, David Van Assche<dvanassche at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, I think what's happening here is a breakdown in communication. When I
> used the term obvious, I was talking about Christoph's email... I was
> stating that perhaps the message, as I understood it, was that we need more
> data from the field... and that _the message_ was not obvious enough in the
> email. I never meant that the feedback was not obvious enough... or that
> developers were not doing enough to keep us informed.

Ok, I'm sorry about that. The thread was about feedback from GPA not
being relevant for the 99.99% of Sugar users, in case that helps
explain my reply.

> I really hope this makes sense. I'm a little concerned that I have to be so
> careful about wording. I sort of get the feeling that should one make any
> type of constructive criticism, this is immediately construed as a threat,
> and the person writing the criticism is forced to walk on egg shells.
>
> I understand that talking about what can be done better, or what should have
> been done that wasnt, etc causes very emotional responses because of the
> time people have given to the project, but should we really just shut up
> about this stuff? Or is there value to hearing people's opinions on how
> things could be improved?

I think you are right in that criticism is very important and I didn't
welcomed it properly, hope to improve on this.

> And on that note, I'd like to hear how I can improve gathering feedback for
> our Autonomous region, based on methods currently in place elsewhere. What
> I'm asking for is links to documentation that show how this has been done
> till now in South America, Nepal and Asia, Africa, Europe. I've looked
> around, but there is not too much information on the web. My idea is to try
> and automate this as much as possible by creating a set of scripts, or
> plugins that can measure stats and then send these (probably via xmpp)
>
> Someone mentioned munin, but this doesn't really give user statistics much
> though... its more of a network tool for servers for measuring performance,
> resource usage, and graphing these. What I am talking about is digitising
> the current manual feedback that is happening elsewhere (how many users
> running which apps, lesson plans being used, languages, how many computers
> requiring repairs, general problems people are running into, and generally
> people's feelings on sugar usage, maybe even surveys)

I would start by listing the kind of parameters for which we could use
quantitative data, then think about how we could gather it.

I remember an interesting thread in olpc-sur about assessment of the
plan ceibal, may be interesting to ask there for opinions.

Regards,

Tomeu

Farning