[Sugar-devel] feedback from a teacher in Uruguay

David Van Assche dvanassche at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 11:17:54 EDT 2009

Hi Andrés,
  The sharing of activities not working for more than a few connections is a
common issue in all the deployments I have seen. It is really important to
have an ejabberd server to help with routing xmpp traffic, if you plan on
running more than a few XOs in collaborative mode.

kind regards,
David Van Assche

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 3:14 PM, Andrés Nacelle <anacelle at plan.ceibal.edu.uy
> wrote:

> Hello you all,
>
> In first place thanks for asking, 'm glad to try to help here.
>
> Well, lets see. I think in first place we need to make sure witch is the
> version of the SO and firmware on the XO from the teacher and children,
> which is really easy for the teacher to tell us. There's a chance that she
> (or some student) have an activity called something like "Info XO", in that
> case they just have to run it and the info will be displayed. In case she
> doesn't have it she needs to pres the "tick" button on the game pad during
> the booting for the firmware and after the booting change to a terminal an
> there look for the SO version.
> Once we have that info we can start to see if we can do something about the
> mesh issue.
> Independent of this, we never been able to share activities on the mesh for
> more than a few XO, trying with 20 no XO shared a thing, not even one.
>
> On the other topics I have nothing to say different from what has been said
> in the mailing list.
>
> Thank
>
> Andres Nacelle
>

> 2009/8/14 Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org>
>
> 2009/8/13 Gabriel Eirea <geirea at gmail.com>:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I'm sending below the original text (in Spanish) of a teacher friend's
>> > request. I'll try to translate her main concerns.
>> >
>> > 1) Mesh network doesn't work. Very few kids can get in the same
>> > "network". She claims it got worse with the latest update in Ceibal.
>>
>> Not sure we can debug this remotely :/
>>
>> Andrés, do you know about any work in the Ceibal plan to determine the
>> reliability of the mesh network?
>>
>> > 2) She saves Write documents in the pendrive, then she opens them at
>> > home with KUbuntu and OpenOffice, then she saves the modified document
>> > in the pendrive and tries to open it in the XO with Write. She claims
>> > she can't open it even if the document was not modified.
>> >
>> > 3) Same scenario as 2), she saves it from KUbuntu as a pdf in a
>> > pendrive. She can't open it back in the XO (she gets a "blank page").
>> >
>> > 4) The previous cases are frustrating because she wants to be able to
>> > move back and forth between the XO and her (convenitonal) laptop.
>>
>> I understand the frustration, do you think we could get copies of
>> those files and more details about the workflow?
>>
>> About usb sticks, in versions earlier than 0.84 we are using a scheme
>> that is quite fragile, specially when using the same stick with
>> non-sugar computers.
>>
>> I would recommend deleting the .olpc.store in the usb stick after
>> every usage in a non-sugar computer and see if weird things stop
>> happening. If this helps somehow, then we should find a way to
>> publicize this trick. Note that from Sugar 0.84 this is not needed.
>>
>> > 5) SocialCalc save and restore doesn't work. After saving, there is a
>> > Journal entry but when they open it the information is not there.

> [...]

Joan Crawford<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/j/joan_crawford.html>
- "I, Joan Crawford, I believe in the dollar. Everything I earn, I
spend."