[Sugar-devel] Karma: bundle layout improve

Bryan Berry bryan at olenepal.org
Fri Aug 14 09:13:38 EDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-08-14 at 11:18 +0545, Christoph Derndorfer wrote:
> 2009/8/14 Felipe López Toledo <zer.subzero at gmail.com>
>         Hello there
>
>         I know we already talked about the Bundle_layout[ 1 ]
>         but, I suggest to reorganize Lesson structure  using this:
>
>         lesson_name/
>          index.html   # lesson content
>          lesson/        # lesson folder
>          game/         # game folder
>          exercise/      #exercise folder
>
>         lesson, game and exercise folder will contain
>         index.html   # the lesson, game or whatever
>         css/
>         js/
>         assets/
>           generic/
>              images/
>              audio/
>              video/
>           {lang-Code}/
>              images/
>              audio/
>              video/

Hmm, your proposal could work. Before I air my concerns, I don't think
we should use the word "lesson" to refer to the tutorial part of a Karma
lesson. Calling the union of lesson + exercise+game+lesson plan also a
"lesson" is confusing. I prefer we call the 1st part of a karma lesson a
"tutorial" or "reading". I think that will make things less confusing
than using "lesson" twice in slightly different contexts.

Subzero, the benefit of your approach is that it makes it easier to
reuse games and exercises in new lessons. This makes sense when an
adding game can relatively easily be transformed into a subtraction
game. At the same time, the related tutorial and exercise could easily
be remade for subtraction.

There will likely be a lot of common assets between the tutorial, game,
and exercise. Splitting them up entirely could create a lot of
duplication as the same images and sounds are present in both. However,
it also could make life easier for the programmer, who wouldn't have to
prefix each image w/  "exercise" or "tutorial".

I think we should change the current layout to reflect some of your
points http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Karma/Bundle_layout#Lesson
but I am wary or separating the tutorial, exercise, and game so sharply

but let me think about this more ;)

--
Bryan W. Berry
Technology Director