[Sugar-devel] Activity toolbar redesign: What to do with 'simple' activities?

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Fri Aug 14 04:43:18 EDT 2009

On 08/13/2009 02:42 PM, Walter Bender wrote:
> I guess my example wasn't as clear as it could have been. The idea is
> to use the the button, but to have the submenu show up on the right
> (as shown) instead of below, as in the example that had been
> previously circulated. So, yes, we'd keep the button behavior.
>
> -walter

I guess, this would add quite some complexity to the code, to draw the
subtoolbar on the left then. We could of course - just let the arrow
point to the left - and add the fields to the toolbar like before. Not
sure, how clear that distinction would be to the user, though.

A possibility based on an idea from Gary:

simple activity
activity icon - text entry - share - keep - stop

more advanced
[activity icon] - [edit] - [x] [y] - stop

    text - share - keep

That way the consistency is done by having the activity icon always at
the left and the stop icon always at the right. The rest is up to the
author. And the docs should be made good enough to reach consistency in
design.

Regards,
    Simon