[Sugar-devel] WatchMe-1, a VNC activity

Benjamin M. Schwartz bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu
Wed Aug 12 12:25:30 EDT 2009

Christoph Derndorfer wrote:
> Just tried WatchMe on two XOs (one using Nepal's NEXO image, the other
> one on 802) connected via
> WiFi and it worked really well:-)

I'm glad to hear it!

> Now we need to figure out how to make this an easy-to-use support tool for
> teachers...

Indeed.  The #1 thing to do, IMHO, is to get rid of the "yum install"
requirement.  In the short term, the only way to do that is to bundle
gtk-vnc and gtk-vnc-python into the .xo, which is fine... I'm just not
quite sure how to do it.

> Not surprisingly one of the first requests I heard from the Austrian pilot
> was whether it was possible to somehow make what's happening on the
> teacher's display available to all the pupils. The solution (well, it's
> actually more of a hack job) I decided to use for the moment being was to:
>
> * install the "VNC Launcher" activitiy (
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/VNC_Launcher) on both teacher XOs,

Huh.  I didn't know about that activity, but on closer inspection it's
quite different from WatchMe, so they're not really redundant.