[Sugar-devel] Results of today's Jabber Testing

Dave Bauer dave at solutiongrove.com
Wed Aug 12 09:00:19 EDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 9:39 PM, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 8:33 PM, Caroline
> Meeks<caroline at solutiongrove.com> wrote:
> > I worked with the RIT contingent and Dave Farning today to do some
> > collaboration testing.
> > We tested with 8 computers on a rarely used dev XS system hosted by
> Solution
> > Grove.
>
> Interesting!
>
> Your report is a bit confusing so I will
>
>  - you had no problems connecting 8 users to a vanilla XS running some
> 0.6d, right?
>  - but later on jabber.s.o you had problems with 29 users...
>
> Is that correct?
>
> What sw is jabber.s.o running? Does it deviate in any way from a
> recent XS 0.6? Could network problems explain part of the problem?

jabber.sl.o is XS 0.5.2 stock install. It has 2GB of ram. Both xsdev and
jabber.sl.o are virtual machines on the same network in the same rack.

> What did ejabberdctl connected-users say at the points when users were
> appearing/disappearing? Did ejabberd see them come and go? Or did it
> think they were connected all the time?

connected-users reported the correct number, so when they were disconnecting
and connectng, it was changing the reported number of connected-users.

> These are very basic questions -- when doing this testing, you'll want
> someone looking at the jabber server, dumping connected-users and
> asking the Sugar users to run `olpc-xos` to compare.

We were using the Analyze activity to compare. On the 0.6 server it matched.
I was watching the server and Analyze at te same time.

> In fact a time-series of captures of `olpc-xos` on each Sugar / XO
> client and  `ejabberd connected-users` on the XS, plus a verbose log
> from ejabberd would tell you a lot.

olpc-xos command is not installed on SoaS. Maybe we can add that. Using
analyze we can see the real-time connection but I don't see any way to
capture the data historically.

Dave

> cheers,

>  martin.langhoff at gmail.com