[Sugar-devel] modifying and reloading python code (was Re: Design help needed for web applications within Sugar)

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 08:34:10 EDT 2009

I tried using xreload.py when I was struggling with Rainbow
interactions in Turtle Art (you may recall that I let users load code
they modify in Pippy). Never did get it to work as advertised, but
never figured out the root cause of my problem either. Most likely my
doing something stupid.

-walter

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 5:03 AM, Tomeu Vizoso<tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 10:45, Tomeu Vizoso<tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 22:02, Gary C Martin<gary at garycmartin.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> If "View Source" makes it to "Edit Source", it could be reasonable to
>>> expect that if you do modify and then close the source editor you
>>> would raise an Activity like alert bar with something like "Activity
>>> needs to re-start for changes to take effect (Discard changes) (Re-
>>> start activity)". I understand that Guido van Rossum had some
>>> proposals for Sugar to pick up live Python edit changes, but I guess
>>> that's water long under the bridge now given current Sugar Labs
>>> resources.
>>
>> Didn't looked as something so ground breaking, I would say it's just
>> waiting for someone to spend a weekend and come up with a prototype.
>
> Looks like we may have a candidate, so here is the relevant post from Guido:
>
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/edu-sig/2007-February/007787.html
>
> Have fun,
>
> Tomeu

Walter Bender