[Sugar-devel] WatchMe-1, a VNC activity

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 07:15:01 EDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 12:25 AM, Benjamin M.
Schwartz<bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:
> Announcing WatchMe-1, an activity that brings VNC to Sugar.

Fantastic!

> Help needed:
> 5. More advanced functionality?  Remote screenshots? Sound? Unix sockets?
> XS reflectors?

We are going to have to figure out how to deal with the traffic it
generates. One-to-many is unsustainable on a wireless network using
unicast, and is unsustainable on a wireless network using multicast
(but for very different reasons!).

Either way, this is going to be a nasty RF hog. How do we handle this hogginess?

 - can we use multicast frames... and get the APs speeds bumped up to
do a "fast multicast" so as to not use up all the airtime?

 - if in the presence of an XS (with or without a reflector...) we can
use a simple "soft lock" so that only one session runs at any given
time?

> However, it is worth noting that WatchMe would be
> impossible to implement as an activity in a more secure Sugar system.

Ah, so won't run with Rainbow, right?

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions