[Sugar-devel] Results of today's Jabber Testing

Caroline Meeks caroline at solutiongrove.com
Tue Aug 11 20:33:03 EDT 2009

I worked with the RIT contingent and Dave Farning today to do some
collaboration testing.

We tested with 8 computers on a rarely used dev XS system hosted by Solution
Grove.
 We had some UI challenges getting connected but once we were all
connected there seemed to be no particular problems or strange
behavior.
We then switched the computers to jabber.sugarlabs.org (also hosted by
Solution Grove).  It had about 29 people on it.  There were all sorts
of problems, people appearing and disappearing, getting dropped,
seeing a subset of people etc.
 The CPU load was quite high.  Memory was not a problem.

At this point the room we were in was closing so we had to quit.

Our next test is to switch the DNS of jabber.sugarlabs.org to the rarely
used XS instance and try again tomorrow.

This is an easy test will help us answer the following questions.

1. Does the number of people that have used the jabber server and thus are
in the roster have any effect on performance?
2. Is there any difference with this slightly newer XS install that matter?

Assuming that there is no difference and that when we have 20 odd people
connected we start to see failures, what tests should we do to try to
isolate the problem?

Thanks,
Caroline

--