[Sugar-devel] Candidate "paper cut" bugs for a new 8.2.x release?

Paul Fox pgf at laptop.org
Tue Aug 11 12:32:22 EDT 2009

martin wrote:
 > On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 10:53 AM, Paul Fox<pgf at laptop.org> wrote:
 > > if nothing else, a next release _must_ be built
 > > with a modular mouse driver...
 >
 > Hmmm. The 5th reply makes a beeline to "must rebuild the kernel". Not
 > quite a record, but pretty good performance I have to say ;-)

:-)  okay, "must" was a little strong.  but it's a driver that wants
attention, and having to rebuild/reinstall an entire kernel just to
tweak the touchpad behavior is setting way to high a bar.

 > I understand the reasoning, but qualifying the build with a changed
 > kernel will kill us in QA across the system. Got to ruminate on that
 > one a bit...

to clarify, the only change i was proposing as "must" is changing
the config to make that single driver modular.  no other code
changes, necessarily.  the module would live in the root fs, not
the initrd.  we might need an assist to make sure it gets loaded,
but i think that will happen by itself.

paul
 paul fox, pgf at laptop.org