[Sugar-devel] [Design] Ad-hoc networks - New Icons

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Tue Aug 11 12:19:44 EDT 2009

2009/8/11 Gary C Martin <gary at garycmartin.com>:
> Hmmmm. Are you sure this is an accurate statement? I was under the
> impression that mesh forwarding support had been removed/disabled from OLPCs
> implementation a long time ago, since soon after the Mongolia deployment.
> Mesh was killing the wireless spectrum with all the attempted packet
> retransmissions. It is really only 'mesh' in name, all devices have to be in
> range of each other to collaborate.

Yes, forwarding still happens.

And the mesh does scale quite well for sparse setups (its original
design). It also works quite well in dense setups (e.g. classrooms) in
that it allows reliable communication between about 15 nodes -- that's
about 13 more than we were able to do reliably with the other
infrastructure-free networking option (IBSS/ad hoc). of course,
classrooms of that size (that are additionally RF-space isolated from
other XOs) are not very common so we need other solutions there.

Daniel