[Sugar-devel] [Design] Ad-hoc networks - New Icons

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Tue Aug 11 12:15:44 EDT 2009

On 08/11/2009 05:42 PM, Daniel Drake wrote:
> 2009/8/11 Simon Schampijer<simon at schampijer.de>:
>> I wonder if the ad-hoc network will scale up to that number of users :/
>> Though I am not an expert in this area. Maybe Daniel has some more
>> insights on this topic.
>
> Yes. Ad-hoc networks do not scale at all because they are range limited.
>
> They also act quite odd in terms of networks because you frequently
> have situations where C can see A and B, but A and B are unaware of
> each others presence. This will lead to funky situations where C could
> share an activity, A and B could join without problems, but any
> actions by A would not be seen by B and vice-versa.
>
> The basic philosophy behind ad-hoc networks is "shout unless someone
> else is shouting" which also ends up causing various network splices
> and merges thanks to the poor quality of radios in the world, and
> interference.
>
> In short, ad-hoc networks are not reliable (especially when there are
> more than 2 participants) and are very quirky. It is a nice feature to
> have in sugar but it is not something that should be created
> automatically since in many cases they will just waste airtime for
> reliable networks and cause headaches for users.

Ok, agreed. I think the ad-hoc network is nice when for example, kid A
meets kid B at home and they create a network they can communicate with.

Or another nice functionality is internet connection sharing. A (two
network interfaces) is connected to the internet and creates an ad hoc
network B can connect to. B will have internet access now as well.

> Automatic infrastructure-less networks are still very desirable of
> course, and the best solution that I know of for that would be
> open80211s which needs work done lower in the stack before it can be
> directly usable by sugar.
>
> and we're miles off topic on a thread about icons.. sigh
> Daniel

No, I think this discussion is needed to fully land this feature, and of
course the icons.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us,
    Simon