[Sugar-devel] [Design] Ad-hoc networks - New Icons

Benjamin M. Schwartz bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu
Tue Aug 11 11:58:03 EDT 2009

Daniel Drake wrote:
> 2009/8/11 Simon Schampijer <simon at schampijer.de>:
>> I wonder if the ad-hoc network will scale up to that number of users :/
>> Though I am not an expert in this area. Maybe Daniel has some more
>> insights on this topic.
>
> Yes. Ad-hoc networks do not scale at all because they are range limited.
>
> They also act quite odd in terms of networks because you frequently
> have situations where C can see A and B, but A and B are unaware of
> each others presence. This will lead to funky situations where C could
> share an activity, A and B could join without problems, but any
> actions by A would not be seen by B and vice-versa.

This is a very important point, and has the potential to create a lot of
problems.  It also seems far from the conceptual model implied by the UI.
 If "ad hoc networks" are shown in the UI as being owned by a single user,
then it seems to me that what we want is not really an ad-hoc network at all.

The UI seems to be a much better description of the case in which single
user switches into Master mode and acts as an AP.  This user forwards
packets between other users to ensure mutual visibility as long as the
network owner is visible.

--Ben