[Sugar-devel] [Design] Ad-hoc networks - New Icons

Eben Eliason eben.eliason at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 09:49:44 EDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 6:21 AM, Simon Schampijer<simon at schampijer.de> wrote:
> On 08/11/2009 11:50 AM, Daniel Drake wrote:
>>
>> 2009/8/11 Simon Schampijer<simon at schampijer.de>:
>>>
>>> I think it would help, to have a new icon for the ad-hoc network to
>>> distinguish them. Could be a badged wireless network one? Or is the mesh
>>> icon appropriate? Or something completely new?
>>
>> I think new icons would be best, to distinguish from the mesh. I think
>> we can expect mesh support again soon ;)
>
> From the user POV they are the same I guess. A local network, that does not
> need any infrastructure.

> Though, the mesh on the XO is handled automatically, the ad-hoc network
> requires user interaction to create it. I wonder if we ever will see a user
> using both (not at the same time) on the same machine. To think about the
> visual clash, at least.

Perhaps we could use the mesh icon with a little XO badge, to indicate
that it's functionally similar to the "real" mesh, but enabled by a
specific XO. Thinking about this now, it might be the case that Tomeu
had built this functionality as an extension of the wireless network
device in the Frame; Should it be an extension of the mesh device
instead, based on its perceived similarities to that feature more than
an AP?

Eben