[Sugar-devel] multiple activity versions installed simultaneously (was Re: [Bugs] #1042 UNSP: cannot install new activity version)

Gabriel Eirea geirea at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 13:01:35 EDT 2009

> I think I agree with both Ben and Tomeu, here. Supporting multiple
> activity versions is crucial to allowing kids to modify activities, or
> create their own. At the same time, I also believe that a new owner
> (as in the example of modifying the Speak activity under a tree)
> should result in a new activity "thread". That is, the resulting
> activity would actually be version one of (potentially) many. For this
> reason, encouraging a name change when ownership changes might be
> apropos.

We have encountered this need in the past (change the name of an
activity to introduce a specific feature for example). The process was
documented by Pablo Flores here (in Spanish but I believe it's easy to
follow):

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Ceibal_Jam/Modificar_Actividad

It's not very difficult but it would be nice to have an easier way
integrated in the Sugar UI. For example, a "clone" entry in the
activities view palette? Or include this feature with the "develop"
activity which should have special permissions?

Regards,

Gabriel