[Sugar-devel] SoaS-for-XO-1 image

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Mon Aug 10 06:09:48 EDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 03:31:25PM +0530, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 09, 2009 at 08:14:12PM +0100, Martin Dengler wrote:
> > http://people.sugarlabs.org/~mtd/soas-xo1/soasxo50.{img,crc}
>
> Alt-ESC does not stop the current activity. Although the new toolbar
> design will help, this is one of the few keyboard shortcuts I use
> frequently.

The new shortcut is Ctrl-Q.

> The software update widget appears on first boot. However, it seem to be
> missing from the "My Settings" panel. I clicked "Cancel" when it first
> appeared. I am not sure how to invoke it now.

It shouldn't appear upon first boot - have to fix that.  The software
updater as currently available from Fedora 11's repos doesn't make
mcuh sense, so it's not included.  I've managed to fail to remove the
first boot software update notification, despite trying :).

> I tried upgrading an activity (Read Etext from 14 to 15) using the
> Browser. Read Etext downloaded. A journal detail screen appeared, but I
> couldn't start the new activity. When I exited the journal detail view,
> I could not find the new download in the main journal listing. I checked
> ~olpc/Activities/ReadETexts.activity/activity/activity.info for the
> version (still 14). Version 15 seems to have disappeared.

Not sure what's happening there, sorry.  I will keep that use case in
mind when testing, but I'd appreciate future testing against future
builds to see a) if it gets fixed; or b) what future errors are.

> I upgraded Read Etexts using sugar-install-bundle from USB key. That
> worked (according to what is in my home dir). However, the home view
> still claims that I have version 14 installed. This was corrected by
> restarting sugar (Ctl-Alt-Del).

Sounds like sugar-install-bundle and sugar-shell aren't interacting
the way one would like.

> Read Etexts shows the Speech tab, but I'm not sure how to get it to read
> what is on the screen. I didn't try to load a book. I just want to read
> the introductory text. Pressing the play button does nothing. I looked
> at the log file, but I didn't find anything suspicious.
>
> The Speak activity works, so it's not a sound problem.

Sounds like something Read Etexts specific - not sure what it could be.

> Gotta go.

Thanks for the notes.

Martin