[Sugar-devel] SoaS-for-XO-1 image

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Mon Aug 10 06:02:31 EDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 02:44:12PM +0530, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 09:10:17AM +0100, Martin Dengler wrote:
> > And to disable permanently, remove/comment this line from
> > /home/olpc/.xsession :
>
> It seems that jffs2 is a hard format to edit. mtdram refused to load
> with a total_size of 650M.
>
> Martin, can you provide the same image in some non-jffs2 format like
> compressed ext3?

Yes, soon.  In the meantime, this is a compressed tar file with one
sparse file in it that is a set of partitions, the one member of which
is an ext3 filesystem:

http://people.sugarlabs.org/~mtd/soas-xo1/soasxo50.removable.img.tar.lzma

...which is a mouthful to describe but useful to use like:

cat soasxoXX.removable.tar.lzma | lzma -dc - | tar xf - -O - > /dev/sdX

... in order to get a 4GB removable drive (subject to the dangers of
re-partitioning said drive[1]) with a ext3 partition for booting on an
XO-1.  Right now one has to edit its olpc.fth appropriately so it
boots from the USB/SD device one is using, but I will be rebuilding an
image with a better olpc.fth soon now that I've got a key OFW tip.

From that process I will get:

soasxoXX.iso - iso9990 file system (for use with livecd-iso-to-disk)
soasxoXX.img - for ...
soasxoXX.crc - ... copy-nand'ing
soasxoXX.plc - ... NANDblast'ing
soasxoXX.removable.img.tar.lzma - for dd'ing to a removable device
soasxoXX.tree.tar.lzma - for untarring, hacking, and re-tarring as you
                         want to do

I hope to merge the build changes necessary to soas's main git repo so
we can get similar artifacts out of SoaS3 builds soon.

I can do something similar for F11-on-XO-1 if that's interesting to
the F11-on-XO-1 people.

> I'd like to make some changes like this and add some
> activities before I NANDblast the image out.

Let me/us know how it goes.

> Thanks!

Martin

1. http://wiki.laptop.org/go/How_to_Damage_a_FLASH_Storage_Device