[Sugar-devel] SoaS-for-XO-1 image

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Mon Aug 10 05:32:25 EDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 03:06:05PM +0545, Christoph Derndorfer wrote:
> Apologies if this is a stupid question but what are the differences and
> advantages/disadvantages of a SoaS-on-XO-1 install versus the F11-on-XO-1
> approach that some are taking?

They have very similar goals; the main differences in goals,
AFAICS, are:

1) release schedule (SoaS-linked vs. OLPC-linked);

2) target audience (SoaS-users vs. OLPC XO-1 build users);

3) the supported desktop experiences (Sugar alone vs. Sugar and
GNOME)

But I'm publishing my images mainly because I can.  I happen to be
creating them for my own (XO-1) use, and trying to make them useful to
the SoaS people and (hopefully) the F11-on-XO-1 people (in the
future).

> I'm quite confused about this at the moment as on first sight it seems like
> both efforts are trying to do exactly the same thing (making the latest
> Sugar run on an XO-1)...

They are, almost.  I'm also a commiter to fedora-xo (though I haven't
had time to do any SoaS or F11-on-XO-1 work lately) and an avid
follower of Daniel Drake, Stephen Parrish, and others' work therein.
So I hope we're not really duplicating much work, though we're
duplicating some git repos and bits-on-disk :).

> Thanks,
> Christoph

Martin