[Sugar-devel] [RELEASE] Read 71

NoiseEHC NoiseEHC at freemail.hu
Sat Aug 8 04:58:40 EDT 2009

>> So accessing the frame in ebook mode - is probably not something you do in
>> your ebook workflow (at least on an olpc without touchpad support).
>>

> Correct - and dedicating a frame button on the tablet mode is probably
> something I would not do (we don't have too many buttons accessible in
> tablet mode)

Incorrect. Since I use the XO-1 for reading ebooks while traveling with
public transport regurarly, I can clearly see the need for not only
frame support but for handling the laptop from the keyboard even in
ebook mode. What important is that volume/brightness level and
magnification (and anything activity specific) should be available from
ebook mode at least via some menu (and no submenus please).
You should not dedicate a full button to this menu, probably holding the
rotate screen button for 1 sec is the correct method activating this
menu (which would take over cursor keys and the 4 game buttons), and
while the menu is on screen, pressing the rotate screen button would
hide it. (It also requires to activate screen rotation when the rotate
screen button is released, not when it is pressed. Also it could have
some delay so pressing 3 times fast in a row would rotate to the other
direction, no need to reflow and redraw the screen 3 times.)

See, developing this functionality will be hard (because Sugar does not
have framework support for it) and probably you have some better things
to do now but at least putting this functionality on the roadmap would
be cool.

ps:
Note that the Frame is an usability problem what is evident if you want
to use it via the keyboard (and will be even more problematic when the
XO will have touchscreen support). Of course it is only my humble
opinion and we all know how much opinions worth.... :)