[Sugar-devel] SoaS with SD cards irregularities

Sebastian Dziallas sebastian at when.com
Fri Aug 7 15:42:30 EDT 2009

Sascha Silbe wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 07, 2009 at 09:11:31PM +0930, Bill Kerr wrote:
>
>> The sticks I have with SD cards have started to fail on the older
>> computers
>> at school (after working ok for 2 weeks of lessons). But they still work
>> fine on my newer Dell mini inspiron.
> The older ones are not XOs, right?
>
>> Warning: cannot find root file system
> Can you append "rootwait" (without the quotes) to the kernel parameters,
> please?
> I hope Sebastian can give specific instructions how to do this
> interactively for SoaS.

I'll try to! :)

When you boot SoaS, you'll see a blue screen for one second - press
<escape> there quickly - you'll be presented a menu saying in its first
entry "boot". Press <tabulator> there.

You can now modify the kernel arguments (add rootwait) and boot by
pressing <enter> then. This will add it only once, though. Usually, one
needs to edit /etc/grub.conf to makesuch a change persistent, but I seem
to recall that this didn't work in live images lately...

--Sebastian