[Sugar-devel] Karma's Chakra - 2 views on lessons

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Thu Aug 6 13:24:14 EDT 2009

2009/8/6 Christoph Derndorfer <christoph.derndorfer at gmail.com>:
> Thanks a lot for the information.
> And I'm not a teacher myself so all my comments above are based on
> second-hand experience.
> However my understanding is that the learning goals for each grade are very
> well defined and due to the small variety of different school books in-use
> in schools (this seems to be a global problem;-) there's hardly any
> difference between schools in terms of what material is taught at a given
> time.

I am answering as a non-teacher.  This varies widely across the world,
some nations have very specific federal guidelines other nations allow
for a great deal of autonomy even between classroom within a school.
Nepal, for instance, has very strict national guidelines.

My local elementary school is very flexible.  The school has
historically been very strong.  So it is assumed that everyone will
meet the 'No Student Left Behind' tests.  It seems the students have a
week of direct test preparation just before the test, nation standards
are forgotten about until the the next round of testing.  Throughout
the rest of the year teacher, even with the same grade, pick and chose
what teaching materials they want to use.

As a disclaimer: This is probably not a normal school.  Every night
the students bring home a 'take home folders' with yesterdays graded
papers and tomorrows home work.  The parent must sign that they have
reviewed yesterday homework and their child has completed tomorrows
home work and send the folder back to school in the morning.

david