[Sugar-devel] One click vs "options in palette" buttons (from the toolbar redesign thread)

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Thu Aug 6 10:14:40 EDT 2009

Hi Simon,

On 6 Aug 2009, at 11:59, Simon Schampijer wrote:

> On 07/31/2009 12:50 PM, Simon Schampijer wrote:
>> Another question that came up today (screenshot attached):
>>
>> The share button has a regular palette. This is not a toolbar that
>> can
>> be locked. We have one action buttons (e.g. keep one) and we have
>> buttons where the options have to be revealed (like the share one).
>> How
>> do we make this distinction visible in the UI. Aleksey instinctively
>> choose the arrow. But that would clash with the toolbars, and led to
>> confusions.
>>
>> Do we have ideas about that?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Simon
>
> Any thoughts on this one?

This doesn't help from a visual point of view, but from (another)
design thread ;-) Eben re-affirmed a design intention that left
clicking on any button that has no primary action, should immediately
display its full palette (like a right click). The idea being that
such buttons primary actions ARE to reveal palettes when clicked. This
came up with regard buddy icons, but would also apply to some frame
buttons (e.g. device icons for battery, and network have no primary
action when clicked),  and to some Activity toolbar buttons (such as
the new "Share with:").

Regard,
--Gary