[Sugar-devel] [RELEASE] Read 71

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 17:29:09 EDT 2009

Hello everyone,

I just released version 71 of the Read activity. This version will let
you associate (add and edit) notes with your bookmarks[1], and has a
slightly more useful fullscreen view (you can now get a rough idea of
how much battery is left in your laptop/netbook without invoking the
frame)[2].
The activity has been tested to work on Fedora 11 based systems such
as SOAS-Strawberry, and it will work in a Sucrose 0.84 environment
(and I plan to make sure that it keeps working on Sugar 0.84).
However, if you are using SOAS or the Fedora 11 builds for XO-1 or
XO-1.5, you will need to install WebkitGTK, python-lxml and
python-BeautifulSoup. The following command would do the trick:
yum install webkitgtk python-lxml python-BeautifulSoup
(Note that this version should work even you do not have these
installed in your system - only the Epub support will not be
available)

As with the previous release, I am not releasing the bundle via
activities.sugarlabs.org, since I do not consider it fit for general
consumption yet. However, if you want to test it out (please do :-),
you can download the bundle from
http://dev.laptop.org/~sayamindu/bundles/read/Read-71.xo

Source code
===========
http://download.sugarlabs.org/sources/sucrose/fructose/Read/Read-71.tar.bz2

XO Bundle
=========
http://dev.laptop.org/~sayamindu/bundles/read/Read-71.xo

Changes
========
* Support for notes associated with bookmarks
* Show a information bar in fullscreen mode, with pagecount and
battery information
* Do not fail to start when Epub specific code does not load

Thanks,
Sayamindu

[1] http://dev.laptop.org/~sayamindu/read_notes.png
[2] http://dev.laptop.org/~sayamindu/epub_fullscreen_1.5.png